Sunday, May 1, 2016

Science Fair Project

As one of our assignments we had to create a science fair project and submit it to the BDMS Science fair.  I was a little nervous as it seemed like Mrs. F was going to grade us harshly, especially since she knew we are either teaching or will be soon!

My project tested the viscosity of syrup with the change in temperature.  My hypothesis was that as temperature would increase viscosity would decrease.  To test this I (with the help of my girlfriend) heated up syrup in a glass cylinder and would drop pennies into the syrup.  We began with room temperature (70 degrees F) and recorded a time of 2.77s.  We put a candy thermometer into the syrup to check the temperature and would intermittently drop pennies down into the bottom of the cylinder.  As the results came out it appeared that my hypothesis was correct! The results on the graph show how much of a change took place, I was astounded at how much of a change was possible with the final time being .64s at 150 degrees F!  As an added bonus I threw the syrup in the refrigerator overnight and tested the viscosity yet again.  At 50 degrees F the time it took for the penny to fall was 16s!  I had a lot of fun with this assignment and would love to have my students in the future!!
(Kerry dropping the first penny)

No comments:

Post a Comment